Sunday, September 30, 2012

Spice Challenge

I am often mocked for my immense spice cabinet.  Besides the cupboard full of my favorite seasonings, I have a counter top spice rack, and a few pots of fresh herbs.  However, this is never enough for me.  My husband laughs and his wallet groans every time I head for the baking and spice section in our local store.  Spices bring flavor and life to food.  Even simple ingredients come together to form an exciting culinary experience when spices are added.

My love affair with spices began as a young child.  I would often sneak into the kitchen and spend my time tasting and smelling my mom's various spices.  She'd laugh when she caught me with a palm full of cumin or a pinch of celery salt, stopping me quickly before I poured the cayenne pepper directly on to my tongue.  Through this experimentation I learned seasonings and I learned to play around with flavor, adding one for more zest and another for a stronger base, finding balance with food.  I am still finding new ways to mix my favorites every day.

My challenge to you is to learn your spice cabinet.  Spend time smelling and tasting the herbs and spices you have.  Research common uses for the ones you have never used, and go buy a new one.  Try to create your own taco seasoning or mix in some fun into that canned spaghetti sauce or soup.

Just maybe you'll discover a new favorite... but please, don't eat a mouthful of cayenne pepper.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment