Friday, May 20, 2011

Potage Crecy

Tonight's dinner is homemade spaghetti, but as it was from a friend's secret recipe I won't be sharing it.  Instead, here is another of my favorite dishes.

I know a little boy who loves a book called Carrot Soup by John Segal.  It is about a rabbit, who goes to his garden to pick carrots to make his favorite dish, carrot soup, and when he arrives there all of his carrots are gone.  He searches and searches, asking all of his friends, who claim never to have seen them.  He wanders through the story, distraught, while all of his friends sneakily turn his carrots into his favorite soup.  This child loves to giggle at the antics of rabbits sneaky friends and celebrates when rabbit's friends present him with his favorite dish.

In my final semester of college I presented an idea for a French Restaurant to my French class.  I was the chef.  I presented 4 dishes, among which was this carrot soup.  This soup is warm and filling, comforting and thick, and very healthy.  The butter can be left out to avoid fat, but I think it adds wonderful texture.

Carrot Soup

Ingredients:
6 carrots
2 potatoes
1 onion
salt
pepper

1 Tb. butter

1.  Peel and chop carrots and potatoes.  Chop onion.  Put into stock pot and cover with  vegetable broth.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 hours.

2. Puree mixture, butter, stirring as it melts, and add salt and pepper to taste.  Garnish with parsley.

This dish is good with crusty French bread, homemade croissants, or crackers.
Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. What a cheap and easy soup! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. To make it even easier, I often use baby carrots- they are all cleaned and cut up already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, silly question, how much vegetable broth?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Probably about 4-5 cups. Just enough to cover the tops of the vegetables. You can add more at the end if it seems too thick.

    ReplyDelete