Monday, May 23, 2011

Raspberry Cake

Growing up we would spend our summers following the fresh fruit harvests. I remember going with my mother and younger siblings to pick fresh raspberries, blueberries, peaches, apples, and strawberries from local farms.  Blackberries we picked from our own backyard.  One summer, my father used a machete to make a maze in the blackberry bushes in our backyard.  My brother and I would wander through, playing games with each other and picking berries.

We would use all of this fresh produce for canning, preserves, jams, and freezing, but we also ate it fresh with milk and a little sugar.  My mother also made an amazing cake with fresh berries.

This cake can be made with blackberries, raspberries, marionberries, and even huckleberries (though I would increase the sugar a little!).  I love it best with raspberries.  Fresh or frozen berries can be used, and the other ingredients are typical to most any kitchen.

Raspberry Cake

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter, cut in chunks
1 cup flour
1 cup + 1 Tbs. sugar
1 tsp baking powder
2 large eggs
1 cup berries
1 Tbs. powdered sugar

1. Grease a 9 inch cake pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees
2.  Combine sugar and butter with a mixer about 3 minutes until well blended
3.  Add 1 cup flour, baking powder, and eggs.
4.  Scrape the mixture in a cake pan, smooth top.
5.  Scatter berried over the top, sprinkle with 1 Tbs Sugar
6.  Bake on center rack at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes until golden
7.  Let cool and dust with powdered sugar to serve!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. That cake just sounds delicious, Rachel! We had a berry maze when I was a kid, too. Lots of fun. And yummy, waiting to be found in 'hide and seek'! Oh, and I lost my little Guinea pig, Flower, in it one summer. We kept hearing her; I think she lived happily everafter.

    ReplyDelete